Christmas Fun Traditions - Learning about Jesus and reading stories

One tradition we are doing is reading a Christmas story every night and then getting a piece of candy. My mom used to read us a story every night and then we would get a piece of that "hard tac" candy. Because of chocking hazards we stick to dum dum suckers and tootsie rolls here at our house. Before we read a Christmas story we have a fun Scripture reading chart that we read certain verses. Every scripture/story each day is about Jesus Christ. Sophie has learned so much about Jesus this Christmas. Although I love giving and getting presents, I never want to loose sight of the real reason we celebrate Christmas. So, we felt it is important to teach Sophie even if she is only 2 that Christmas is when we celebrate Christ's birth. She thinks Christmas is a birthday party for Jesus. Last night when saying her prayers..she said, "thank you for Jesus' birthday party". This night the pictures were taken we had a talk about why we give and recieve presents. We let Tanner and Sophie each open a present to see how happy they were. I explained to her that these presents make us happy, but do you know what makes us even happier??? I told her Jesus' life and example makes us happy and if we try and follow him we will always be happy!

0 comments:
Post a Comment